Saturday, July 26, 2014

[Batman Day Free Comic] Detective Comics #27

Celebrating the seventy-five reign of Batman has been a pleasant treat for me. I got to do the geekiest tributes ever for last week alone (I re-watched all Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan films, three documentaries and select ten fave episodes from Batman: The Animated Series). I've been a very busy Bat-fan indeed! In addition to this fun-filled geekathon, I was also able to purchase two graphic novels to add to my collection (the trade paperback for Batman: Death of the Family that I've been looking for, and Neil Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader) and they have 20% discount too so I got to save some money. 

Next, I got Robin Rises Omega in print (and the last issue for Batman: Zero Year downloaded from torrent, unfortunately, but I will come back to the store next week and see if copies would be available). But before I review these two amazing issues, let's first talk about the content of the free giveaway, which is New 52's re-imagining of Detective Comics #27. 

Surprisingly enough, the only new thing that was included in it for me was the original 1939 story The Case of the Chemical Syndicate where actual pages from said old comic were used and printed in glossier paper. I was quite giddy about that. The other two stories included were also in the mega-sized anniversary issue I reviewed months ago. They were the newer version for said Chemical Syndicate case, and Scott Snyder's science fiction take on Batman entitled Twenty-seven which was one of the best pieces offered for that anniv issue from before. I suppose if you were unable to buy the nine-dollar Detective Comics issue #27, this free giveaway would be a treat but for someone like me who already owns the original anniversary release and paid for it, I wasn't entirely happy about the free comic that just included what I already read previously.

Aside from that, we get preview pages for Chip Kidd's version of how the events in the Chemical Syndicate case would have gone down using the same outdated art style from golden age comics but perhaps with a contemporary twist. In a nutshell, this free comic is still great thing to posses for posterity's sake. Since it's free, there's no reason not to get a copy anyway. But that said, I would recommend you purchase the double-sized issue #27 from New 52's Detective Comics even if it is costly.

RECOMMENDED: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment