Monday, May 26, 2014

[New 52] Batman: Black and White issue #4


This wasn't a stellar issue as far as Batman Black and White standards go. I tried to think about how to come up with a decent review but there's not much to say about this particular issue except that I probably enjoyed looking at the artwork more than the writing. The five stories presented were simplistic and easy to just set aside after reading. I suppose it's suffice to say that style was prioritized over substance. There's not enough meat and bones to the stories that would capture and hold someone's imagination for long.

I did, however, find some very cute moments in all the stories but the moment is usually fleeting, and as soon as I closed the book, I was not left with any sense of lasting fulfillment. I still have issues 5 and 6 and I am hoping that they will fare better. I'll be on the look-out for the earlier three as well. I've watched a handful of motion comics online for Batman Black and White stories, and most of them have been outstanding so far so I still have expectations that the next issues will set the bar a little higher than what was accomplished here.



NOT RECOMMENDED: 6/10


* You're free to skip this one but the first story Ghost of Gotham is actually worth a glimpse.

No comments:

Post a Comment