Monday, September 20, 2021

The Batman Who Laughs by Scott Synder issue #5

Now that I'm five issues into this seven-part mini series, I feel confident enough to say that this might not be a favorite Scott Snyder Bat-story. It's possible that my full appreciation is impeded by the fact that I've been so out of touch of Batman comics for the last five years. If I were to be honest, a lot of the content here felt as familiar as it is too comfortable for me. I acknowledge that Scott Snyder will always be one of the three writers that made Batman s enjoyable, nuanced, and thrilling for me. 

But for this title? A lot of it makes me think about his earlier stories when he was still the head writer of the flagship title that was DC's Batman. It borrowed a lot of the elements I recognized from his previous arcs as well as Gates of Gotham and Black Mirror. I suppose I could always view it as a pastiche of Snyder's own mythos which he cultivated and crafted as far as 2011, but is that all there is to The Batman Who Laughs? A collection of formulaic elements that he's already explored and became known as?

There are few nuggets of brilliance that had occurred in the five issues, honestly, but it's in this next part of the narrative that made me feel even more disconnected than ever before instead of feeling as if I'm about to solve a mystery or peel another layer of intrigue and mystery that was the metaphor and significance of Batman as a caped crusader. Is it possible that I have grown Batman/Bruce Wayne himself? I would hate to turn this review into an existential analysis of my overall relationship to this fictional character, but I supposed I might need some soul-searching about what Batman still means to me now that I'm in my thirties.

Save for the abandoned run of Tom King's early issues back in 2017 when I did take an unexpected hiatus, I'm not comfortable not thoroughly finishing what I started, which was why I wanted to pick up from where I left off and resurrect this blog. But after the initial rush of the past four weeks has now dispersed, it made me rethink of how I'll approach my next batch of reviews before the year ends and a new one begins. The truth of the matter is that after this one, I might combine my reviews for the last two issues of TBMWL. And that format may be more doable for me with other titles found in my Comics Shelf. It's simply not feasible for me to do reviews of individual issues, no matter how much I want to keep up with the new stuff soon.

So, a couples things first. Snyder and co. delivered something that was familiar territory for me, based on the kind of themes he and the artists had touched upon during his flagship run. That said, the interactions for this fifth issue are pitch perfect, if you were invested enough to see the terse interplay among Bruce Wayne/Batman of our universe versus BMWL and the Grim Knight. I'm still unsure how to fit the Gordon father and son add to it, aside from the far too on-the-nose association between them and the Waynes, but they're there along for the ride anyway. Once again, Snyder revisited what Gotham means to Batman, and what Batman means to Gotham and everything caught in between that push and pull relationship. It's a wonderful concept that fueled Synder's original run, and one that I ate up alongside many fans; we cannot separate the city from the Dark Knight and vice-versa.

Too many times we neglect the setting in which stories operate, but the most classically oriented novels that made an impact in history has treated the setting as another character to root for and sympathize with, and this is precisely what Snyder did for Gotham City. So what did Gotham City symbolize? How does that connect to Batman and the crusade he was fighting for? What happens when everything he believed was real and true about the justice he safeguards to protects its citizen had been nothing more but a delusion?





The notable thing I want to bring up next was this sideline plot device to the overall narrative of The Batman Who Laughs, which would be the trail of dead Bruce Waynes. If I'm recalling the order correctly, the first one featured in the morgue was a Bruce Wayne in an alternate reality in which he married, had a family, and was happy. The next one was a Bruce Wayne who was a politician who made a real difference in the city through bureaucratic channels; then we get one who was in competition with the Penguin's criminal enterprise and then another who took over Blackgate Penitentiary. Now, for this issue, we have a Batman who became the leader of the Talons of the Court of Owls. I don't know if anyone else saw a pattern here, but I believe BMWL ranked the best to the worst alternate Bruce Waynes here, including himself and The Grim Knight who are the extremes of the spectrum.

Now I'm not really sure what that entailed, and what it could all mean in the grand scheme of things, but it was fascinating to me, much more so than the plan BMWL has in which he made Batman lose hope in himself, the city and everything else he stood for. That's how this issue ends, on that not-so-original cliffhanger. With a lot of things running in the background, this major revelation was a tad underwhelming. Like, really? Gotham is not a beacon but rather the darkness itself? Can't imagine why. It is a violent and corrupt city where the most rutheless and depraved of killers and criminals exist. How could it be anything else but a bad place? Because Batman's there? Hell, Batman can be viewed as the bad guy who has to give it worse so the the worst monsters will keep in line.





I don't really know what to do with that last few pages. For issue #4, I commended the visuals team for the tireless and creative delivery they've achieved for this title. However, I feel as if they may have overdone it here and missed the mark. Some of the panels put a strain in my eyes as I read on. Too many details are going on in certain scenes but also sparse on the parts in which detail does matter. I am also getting sick of BMWL. I'd take DCEU's the Joker played by Jared Leto at this point because I am not entertained or interested in him as a villain. Maybe the Grim Knight should have had the starring role instead of playing lackey.



RECOMMENDED: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment